History of Calvin Church
Calvin Church was founded in the predominately German Lutheran area of Harmony in 1845 by several of the area’s Scottish descendants who felt like they didn't quite "fit." The church, then called the Harmony-Zelienople Presbyterian Church, was a one room building that is the current church’s fellowship hall. Over the decades, the congregation grew from an original 12 people to its present congregation of 550 members.
In 1901, the present sanctuary was built. By 1954, the church had grown to 255 members, and it was decided that space for classes, meeting rooms, and a kitchen were needed, and so a new addition was built. In 1959, the church changed its name to Calvin Presbyterian Church.
In 2007 and boasting over 400 members, the church completed yet another building project to add classrooms and meeting rooms, office space and to refurbish the fellowship hall. The expansion and renovation helped us to achieve our goal of creating more space to reach out to others.
We are now a church of 550 members committed to being a compassionate and caring community to all. As the church moves steadily toward its third century of existence, the area around the church continues to boom. And what began as a place of worship for a few local families now has become a place where a whole community is served.