Presbyterian Women of Calvin Church
With a strong foundation built by the Mary J. West Missionary Society (1919) and the Women’s Association (1947), we continue to follow the challenges we inherited:
- To nurture our faith, through prayer and Bible Study,
- To support the mission of the church worldwide,
- To work for justice and peace,
- And to build an inclusive, caring community of women that strengthens the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and witnesses to the promises of God’s Kingdom.
The Association membership automatically includes all women of the congregation and is divided into circles. We support work of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A., as promoted through its Boards of National Missions, Foreign Missions and Christian Education
We offer two circles, which act as small groups. Open Circle (or evening circle) meets in members homes on the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:30. Morning Circle meets at the church on the 2nd Thursday at 10 a.m. Through our circle meetings~once a month morning and evening meetings, we try to continue many worthwhile and necessary projects. Over the years we have worked on the following projects:
- Sewing projects and national overseas projects.
- Church World Service projects, making school kits, layettes, and blankets for those in need.
- Helping our local food bank with food and money, or volunteer time.
- Providing food items needed for Meals on Wheels.
- Sending over 1,000 birthday cards to residents at Evergreen Nursing Center over a period of eleven years.
- Working with the Calvin Church Mission Committee.
- Helping to prepare and cater funeral luncheons for grieving families.
- Helping SERRV, an organization selling products from impoverished areas.
- Making quilts for AIDS babies in Allegheny County.
- Making financial contributions to the Southwest Butler Habitat for Humanity and Westminster Highlands Pipe Dream Project.
- Selling Mosquito Net Mother Days Cards to raise money to provide mosquito nets to families in Africa.
- Contributing funds to the church to install a handicapped stair glide for the back stairwell.
- Offering a fall and lenten Soup Sale to raise money to keep the church kitchen running, to purchase new equipment such as a new refrigerator and deep freeze freezer, and two two new roasters for use at Ladle and Hearth and funeral luncheons.
- Raising Haiti relief Money from cans that we placed on the entry table into the sanctuary, raising $200.00
- In addition, we gave $300 to our camping association, fixed up old library, gave to Palm Project in the Philippines, paid for Thank Offering speakers and birthday offering speakers, donated to Mars Home for Youth, donated $2,500 to the church to help paint the sanctuary, and gave a gift of $500 for a mission trip.
If you are interested in becoming part of Calvin Church’s Women’s Association, please contact Judy Kerkovich at email@example.com.